New statistics released by Victorian Cardiac Arrest Registry shows that 82 people were shocked using a publicly accessible Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) in 2017 – 2018, the most on record!
The incidence of bystanders giving CPR to people who have suffered a Sudden Cardiac Arrest has also increased in the last decade from 46% to 63%.
In December 2018, Joshua Simpson a 15-year-old basketball player survived a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) thanks to early CPR and an accessible defibrillator at the Keilor Basketball Stadium.
This was the third time the defibrillator was used to save a life following previous cardiac arrests in 2012 and 2017.
It was Joshua’s mother who rushed on to the court when she saw her son collapse and who started CPR. Others fetched the defibrillator located at the arena and were able to deliver a lifesaving shock. Joshua was conscious and breathing when paramedics arrived.
“To the people who assisted me to save my sons life, no words can describe the gratitude I am feeling. I’m just thankful that they were by my side to help me bring back Josh, and I’m glad it happened when and where it did because the stadium has a defibrillator. I’d like to see every child taught CPR and every sporting venue have a defibrillator”.