A Kerang football player has been successfully revived after being shocked twice with a defibrillator that was on hand at the Balranald Football Club. Patrick Featonby, a PE teacher at the local school, collapsed during the first quarter of the Central Murray Football League match.
Due to the quick thinking trainers, from both team sides, who had been trained on how to use the defibrillator, they were able to revive the 20 year old who is now recovering in a Melbourne hospital.
League chairman John Brookshaw said all Central Murray clubs have defibrillators following the death of a player eight years ago.
“Woorinen’s Nathan Cameron, 19, died in hospital after he collapsed on field in 2010.
The family started an initiative to have all clubs have defibrillators, and got sponsorship … the league put money into it and all our clubs now have defibrillators.
At the time we thought this is going to be an expensive option, however we actually have used them.”